Originating from Mexico, guacamole is a dip made from avocados that helps to add texture and flavor to your meals and snacks. Besides that, it has gained popularity across the globe because of the health benefits it offers.
- Unsaturated fats that help to lower harmful blood cholesterol.
- Vitamin C which helps to strengthen blood vessels and ligaments.
- Vitamin E which helps to slow oxidative damage to your cells.
- Helps in digestion as it is packed with dietary fiber.
Although guacamole is one of the easiest recipes you could ever come across, you need to know what it takes to prepare a delicious guacamole because you cannot risk preparing something that you will not enjoy. Some of the tips you need to keep in mind include:
- Do not make it from bad avocados.
- Use the small Hass variety of avocado as they give THE best results.
- Add some lemon, herbs and chili for flavor and salt for seasoning.
- Do not over mix the ingredients.
- If storing in the fridge, place some luke warm water on top of well packaged guacamole to prevent oxidation.
We suggest you to buy avocados in big quantities when on sale and freeze it when they are just ripe. Make sure you first remove the skin and pit; and then store it in bags or containers. Apply vacuum and place your avocados in the freezer until needed for guacamole or other foods.
Prep Time: 10 minutes at most. Serves 4 people
- 2 ripe Hass avocados.
- 1 tbsp. lemon or lime juice.
- ¼ cup of minced red onions.
- 2 minced Serrano chilies with stems and seeds removed.
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped tended cilantro leaves.
- ½ ripe tomato with pulp and seeds removed.
- ½ tsp. salt for seasoning.
- A pint of freshly grated black pepper.
Cut the clean avocados into halves. Remove the seed and scoop the flesh using a blunt knife or spoon. Place in a clean bowl.
Mash it thoroughly using a fork, ensuring that you do not overdo it as the last result should be a bit chunky.
Start by adding salt and lime juice followed by other ingredients. If you are planning to chill the guacamole, do not add the tomatoes at this point as chilled tomatoes may affect the flavor.
Cover to prevent oxidation and chill to store.
Refrigerate until ready to serve. Add the tomatoes just before serving the salad.
Above is just a simple recipe that you can try. However there are many variations that you can try out.
In case you have just some avocados and salt in the house, you can still prepare guacamole as that is the ideal base of this salad. You can also mix ¼ cup of salsa with some mashed avocados for great tasting guacamole.
Best Foods to Serve With Guacamole
- Tortilla chips. If you want people to enjoy your tortilla chips, serve with guacamole as a side dish.
- Fried fish. You can use guacamole in place of tartar sauce.
- Smoked salmon. Spread the guacamole directly on the salmon with some cream cheese and roll it up.
- Use guacamole in place of mayonnaise.
- Vegetable patties.
Surprise your family or friends tonight. Make guacamole with some good ripe avocados and enjoy not only the health benefits of the fruit but also the taste.