Young and old alike, most people turn to ice cream when the weather is hot. It is available in every supermarket and it comes in every flavour and combination conceivable. But did you know how incredibly easy it is to make; and that with a little bit of time and very few ingredients you can make ice cream with your kids at home?
What You’ll Need
* 1 serving – You should provide the following for each participant.
1 cup full fat milk or full cream
1/2 cup salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Any of your favorite ice cream mixings’ maybe you have some fresh berries stored in the freezer in your Vacuvita bags.
It is easiest if you divvy everything up before you start but you can also let the little ones measure out their own ingredients. Whatever you choose, it is best to let of of the reigns and have fun.
- Combine the milk or cream, sugar and vanilla extract in a pint-size bag. Seal the bag tightly, so that none of the liquid will leak out.
- Fill the gallon-size ziplock bag halfway with ice cubes. Sprinkle salt over the ice cubes.
- Insert the pint-size bag filled with ingredients into the bag of ice and salt. Seal the gallon-size bag.
- Shake the bag for 5-10 minutes until the ice cream mixture begins to harden. Feel the small bag to determine the consistency of your ice cream. Once it’s all ice creamy, remove the small bag from the bag of ice.
- Open the small ziplock bag and add any desired mixings that you want.
Providing they have stuck with you through the entire process everyone should have their own personalised homemade ice-cream. So grab a few bowls and spoons, sit around the table and enjoy the spoils of your efforts and each others company!