In addition to using our revolutionary and stylish vacuum system, we at Vacuvita would also like to share with you a little common sense to optimally use and keep your food, as well as save you a little money. Let’s talk about your groceries, the fridge and yesterday’s leftovers!
- Be Mindful.
- Plan your meals.
- Make a list and stick to it!
- Eat the food.
- Keep track of what you have in stock and use it! Don’t let things go to waste because you didn’t feel like cooking.
- Organise your fridge.
- The doors are the warmest the fridge so use them for soft drinks and condiments.
- The upper shelves are the best place for ‘ready to eat’ foods like lunch meats and dips.
- The lower shelves are the coldest so this is where you want to keep raw meats.
- The crisper is for fruits and veggies but not all of them.
- Buy less… or more.
- Method 1: Don’t buy a mountain of food, only buy what you need day to day. This is a more time consuming method but minimising the amount of food you buy will undoubtedly reduce waste.
- Method 2: Buy more than you can eat in two days but make sure you store it under vacuum for long term storage. Our complete kitchen package is the best way to keep your food safe and crisp, up to five times longer.
- Leftover, but not forgotten.
- Incorporate your leftovers into your meal planning! Cooking is creativity and improvisation so use your leftovers to create something new. To get you started though, here’s a nice recipe to use with leftover roast chicken.
Leftover Chicken and Pea Risotto
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove crushed
350g risotto rice
1 small glass white wine
1litre vegetable stock
leftover meat from yesterday’s roast chicken
1 tbsp thyme
200g frozen peas
1 tbsp crème fraîche
2 tbsp grated parmesan, plus extra to serve.
1- Satay the onion and garlic for 5 mins. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 min more, until it becomes transparent. Pour in the wine and keep stirring until all the liquid is absorbed.
2- Add the stock and simmer until the rice is just tender. Add the chicken, thyme and peas, then cook until the chicken is warmed through. Add the crème fraîche and Parmesan with some seasoning, then remove from the heat. Cover with a lid and leave to stand for 2 mins before serving with extra Parmesan, if you like.
3- Have a glass of that wine.